Jun 19th, 2020
This episode focuses on the big picture view of “the new normal for taxes” since there have been several changes connected to the coronavirus pandemic. Topics discussed include missed opportunities and new opportunities related to the ABA May Tax Meeting, Tax Court, free webinars, Virtual Settlement Days, and more.
- If there were issues with the economic impact payment, some of the potential assistance I know about are the phone number 1-800-919-9835 or using IRS form 3911. Otherwise, the main advice I have is to file a 2019 tax return separately if you need to show on record that you are no longer with the spouse from a joint return so that you can potentially receive the payment as a refund on the 2020 tax return.
- The University of San Diego Law School has for free virtually their 5th Annual Tax Controversy Institute on July 17 looking at tax controversy work during COVID-19, the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility, and IRS Fraud Enforcement and Criminal Investigations.
- Kostelanetz and Fink is holding the 12th Annual NYU Tax Controversy Forum for free virtually on June 18 and 19. By the time this airs, those dates may have passed, but they are available through CPAcademy, which will be rebroadcasting those webinars during the summer. The webinars will have updates from the heads of several departments at the IRS such as the new Taxpayer Advocate Erin Collins and new head of the Independent Office of Appeals Andy Keyso. They will also have presentations on penalties, fraud, Tax Collections, and enforcement.
- ABA Virtual May Tax Meeting is June 10 through July 30. 19 webinars over 6 weeks covering ethics, Tax Court, international tax, corporate tax (19 or so committees). Rates range from free to $500 for the entire series, depending on your category.
- June 10: Tax Bridge to Practice1:00pm - 4:05pm
- June 11: Corporate Tax/Affiliated & Related Corporations1:00pm - 2:35pm
- June 17: Tax Accounting1:00pm - 3:00pm
- June 18: Closely Held Businesses1:00pm - 2:45pm
- June 24: S Corporations1:00 - 4:00pm
- June 25: State & Local Taxes1:00pm - 3:00pm
- July 1: International Day 112:00pm - 1:30pm
- July 2: International Day 21:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 8: Real Estate & Partnerships & LLCs1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 9: Estate and Gift Taxes1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 14: Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 15: Exempt Organizations1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 16: Financial Institutions & Products1:00pm - 3:00pm
- July 21: Sales, Exchanges and Basis/Capital Recovery and Leasing1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 22: Court Procedure & Practice1:00pm - 3:00pm
- July 23: Investment Management1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 28: Employee Benefits1:00pm - 4:00pm
- July 29: Administrative Practice1:00pm - 3:00pm
- July 30: Standards of Tax Practice1:00pm - 3:00pm
*All sessions are live in Eastern Standard Time